Fast food is a part of American culture. Who doesn’t have a nostalgic memory about a McDonald’s sundae or Wendy’s frosty? However, these treats are more than just a pastime as they are also a delicious, fast and affordable way to indulge your sweet tooth. Fast food restaurants offer such an impressive selection of desserts that even food lovers interested in pastry school will approve of these desserts.
- Wendy’s Small Frosty – Feel free to dip your fries into your Frosty as much as you want, because this dessert only has 160 calories and 5 grams of fat. Don’t let its simplicity fool you, it’s delicious.
- Taco Bell Cinnamon Twists – Light puffs of corn doused in sugar and cinnamon, making this dessert delectable and kind on your waist.
- KFC Lil’ Bucket Strawberry Shortcake Parfait Cup – Big in flavor and light in calories.
- McDonald’s Caramel Apple Parfait – Only has 160 calories but you wouldn’t know it as you dip your spoon into the caramel.
- McDonald’s Vanilla Reduced Fat Ice Cream Cone – So yummy that you won’t miss the fat.
- KFC Lemon Meringue Pie – Everyone loves pie. With this dessert you can have your pie and eat it, too.
- Pizza Hut Cherry Dessert Pizza – A great way to enjoy a classic treat and watch your weight.
Floats, Ice Cream and Shakes – Oh, My!
The most popular deserts for fast food resturants seem to be ice cream based. And while your nutritionist certainly wouldn't want you to try them out; we highly recommend these frosty treats. Both A&W and Jack in the Box offer root beer floats to take you back to a simpler time. McDonald’s and A&W have a wide variety of sundaes including strawberry and caramel that are sure to satisfy any craving. Roy Rogers’ Apple Cheese Crisp Sundae and Hot Fudge Brownie Sundae are not your average sundaes. Burger King also has special sundaes such as its Oreo Sundae, Oreo Brownie Sundae, and Peach and Granola Sundae. For those who want ice cream and a little something extra, McDonald’s McFlurry, A&W’s Polar Swirl and Dairy Queen’s Blizzard offers thick ice cream mixed with different candies and other goodies.
Many fast food chains offer milkshakes; however, McDonald’s carries a seasonal shamrock shake that is green and minty, perfect for St. Patrick’s Day. Burger King also sells a handspun strawberry shake. At Jack in the Box, customers can enjoy the salty sweet taste of a bacon shake. Carl's Jr. sells chocolate, vanilla and Oreo malts for those who want a cool yet sweet treat.
Slices of Heaven
McDonald’s Baked Apple Pie, served warm and fluffy, is a classic dessert that will keep you coming back for more. Burger King also has a Dutch Apple Pie that looks and tastes like your grandma’s. Chick Fil-A has lemon pie that will cool you down on a hot day and satisfy your sweet craving. Jamocha Cream Pie at Arby's is perfect for coffee lovers. As for choc-aholics, Burger King has a Hershey Sundae Pie, with layers of delicious chocolate. Carl’s Jr. and Jack in the Box also have a simple chocolate cake.
Who can say no to cheesecake? Chick Fil-A and Carl’s Jr. both have cheesecake. However at Del Taco, you can have Caramel Cheesecake bites for small pops of big flavor. Cinnamon and sugar go hand and hand. Churros are conveyor belts of cinnamon sugar goodness available at Jack in the Box and at Del Taco. McDonald’s Caramel Melts also combine the powers of cinnamon and sugar in their cinnamon rolls.