I am not a good cook but, I can cook and my biggest fan is my husband. When it comes to food, it is hard to please him but, when I cook for lunch or dinner for him, he eats it and gave me a perfect commendation. That matters a lot! Where do I get the recipe and inspiration for my cooking? Well, I get it in Food Network Channel. I love watching Food Network channel and one of my favorite celebrity cooks is Giada De Laurentiis:
This is her recipe and it is so yummy. You should try it.
Ingredients for Meatballs:
1 cup bread crumbs
¼ cup whole milk (room temperature)
2 eggs (room temperature)
1 small onion, finely chopped
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup fresh basil leaves (chopped)
¼ cup fresh Italian parsley leaves (chopped)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, minced
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
1 lb ground turkey meat
1 lb spicy Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Ingredients for the Sauce :
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 large garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp finely ground fennel seeds
2 cans crushed tomatoes
¾ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
Instructions for the Meatballs:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs, milk, eggs, onion, Parmesan cheese, basil, parsley, tomato paste, garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir to blend.
3. Add the ground turkey and sausage meat. Gently mix all the ingredients until thoroughly combined. Use your clean hands.
4. Using an ice cream scoop, form the meat mixture into balls.
5. Place the meatballs on a heavy non-stick baking sheet, spacing apart.
6. Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 15 minutes until cooked through.
Instruction for the Sauce:
1. Heat the olive oil in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add the onions, garlic, salt, and pepper.
3. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
4. Add the crushed tomatoes, oregano, fennel, and 1/2 cup basil. Bring to simmer.
5. Cook over medium heat until the sauce thickens slightly. Stir occasionally in about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup basil.
6. Adjust the seasoning with more salt and pepper, if desired.
Add the meatballs to the tomato sauce and simmer until the meatballs are heated through, about 10 minutes. Thin the sauce with chicken stock, 1/4 cup at a time, if needed.
Serve with grated Parmesan cheese alongside.